Tuesday, August 11, 2009

He knows our name

But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! (isaiah 43:1)
Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. (luke 12:7)
i read this article today that i liked a lot. it's quite long. but i thought it was really well written. & even though the author is talking about her doubts about God, it's also an article on her doubts with her doubts about God:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/wayoflife/08/11/o.faith.doubters.dilemma/index.html

since you guys will most likely not want to read the whole thing, i'm just going to copy here the three paragraphs i liked from her article. well i really only like the last one, but the other two are needed to understand the context i guess:

As it is, I relish the fact that I am one of 6 billion people the way my mother revels in Pavarotti's recording of the Ave Maria. Being one in 6 billion means my life can't possibly matter to anyone but me and my little flock -- which means that all my mistakes and failures and anxieties are utterly inconsequential.

When I forget this, when things begin to matter too much and I find it hard to get a good, deep breath, I close my eyes and imagine flying over houses, lifting off the roofs and seeing all the people whose existence is concurrent with mine. I imagine them arguing, cooking, hugging, suffering and laughing, living and dying. Each of us a little bitty fish in an inconceivably large pond, swimming in circles, nothing to do but enjoy the water.

But maybe that's an incomplete picture. Maybe there's something between and around and inside all 6 billion of us, and maybe that something knows every hair on each of our heads. Maybe we are not anonymous. Wouldn't that be outrageous? And beautiful?

sigh. reading that was a lovely reminder that yes, we are not anonymous. He knows our names. &that IS indeed quite outrageous, outrageously beautiful. :)
&aren't we just so very blessed to know this fact?

that is all! have fun at work! :)

No comments: