Wednesday, July 1, 2009

1.5 hours till freedom..

Few things I've learned so far:

1. I realize that when people say "Hey how's it going?", it's typically nice to respond to their question. Haha. At first, I used to just respond by say, "Hey, what's up?" or with another question but I realize that when I ask first, the convo would go.. "Hey how's it going?" "Good, how is yourself?" and that is probably the more proper way to respond, instead of ignoring their question with another question..
2. Having things to work on makes my day go faster. And it makes me feel less guilty when filling out my time sheet. Haha =]
3. When things (contract plans, specs book, etc) are said to be 95% done, they are actually only like 80% done.
4. There are 4 other interns here in my building, 1 in the engineering department (I'm in construction management), 2 in the planning division, and 1 in the water division.. There is also another construction intern but he is out on the project site. Working with them makes my day go faster and work more fun. We have a "save energy" project that we're working on together. It's been pretty fun. I'm pretty chill with 2 of the other interns, the other 2 are pretty MIA.
5. There are quite a few Cal alumns here. All the interns are from Cal or will be going to Cal for CEE grad school. The president here is from Duke and he likes to make fun of Cal people. He thinks Duke is a better school, I'll just reassure him that they just have a better basketball team. 6. One of my superiors, likes to make fun of Cal grads as well. Haha. We were working on our energy project, looking for the best place to put reminder posters up and he sees us and asks what we're doing and then says, "It takes two Cal grads to find the best spots for posters eh?" Haha maybe Cal people just like sticking together or maybe Cal just does a good job teaching people about community. =]
7. When it comes to CM/EPM the only thing that’s helped from school is cost estimating, the majority of the other stuff I've had to learn on the fly. Work work is very different than school work.
8. Engineering Construction is really 95% men. The other 5% are the EC Admins, and they are all females. It's also 95% white as well. I make up the other 5%.
9. Cubicles make work life very quiet and private.
10. Not really something I learned.. But something cool: I get to keep all my safety gear. Hardhat, gloves, safety vest, safety sunshade glasses, and my $132 hardtoe safety boots. =] I guess it would be kinda gross if they re-used it. Now if only I get to keep my work cell phone…hahaha


Sighzor. The internet went down today at work again…why does this keep happening? Apparently it doesn't happen very often.. Just two times already in my 3 weeks of work. Also I watched Transformers last night, it was good but it made me lose 1 hour of sleep. Now I'm at work--sleepy. =/ Lunchtime nap in my car is in consideration…other than that… sleeping at 11pm and waking up at 7am isn't as bad as I imagined it to be… its only really bad on Mondays cause my weekend sleep schedule is skewed.

No comments: